White Grit Mine
Tip: use the zoom buttons to zoom in and out.
Use the layers button to select the layers and the opacity of a layer (0.0 - 1.0).
View full screen 2D hill shade overlay LiDAR.
Use the opacity selector to see underlying satellite, historic mapping and accessible records (HER and Archives) overlays too.
Experimental : view interactive 3D pointcloud.
Use a WebGL tool to produce an interactive 3D view rendered with hillshade and accessible records data.
White Grit is one of a series of ‘Grits’ in the area. Famously, this was where the Romans left a pig of lead stamped for Emperor Hadrian. Unfortunately their workings have been destroyed by later mining.
The 1650 estate map at Shelve Church refers to the whole area as White Grit. The combinations of Old Grit, White Grit and East Grit add up to a substantial mine site. At one time the workings boasted three powder magazines, presumably removing the need to travel any distance for safety as well as economy.
The intersection of many veins of ore at Old Grit made this the centre for activity. The miner’s named them ‘The Rider’, ‘New Engine’, ‘New Britain’ and ‘Foxholes’ evoking some of the ambition of the times. Boulton Watt pump engines were bought for Old Grit and White Grit in 1783. The ‘Grit Sett’ as it was known, had fourteen shafts in total. Ten of these were dug at White Grit.