Wentnor and Prolley Moor
Tip: use the zoom buttons to zoom in and out.
Use the layers button to select the layers and the opacity of a layer (0.0 - 1.0).
View full screen 2D hill shade overlay LiDAR.
Use the opacity selector to see underlying satellite, historic mapping and accessible records (HER and Archives) overlays too.
Experimental : view interactive 3D pointcloud.
Use a WebGL tool to produce an interactive 3D view rendered with hillshade and accessible records data.
This manor was divided up by the church in the later medieval period. Shrewsbury, Buildwas and Haughmond Abbeys all got a share. The medieval church at the southern end of the village was partially rebuilt from recycled materials in 1886. Three of the walls contain re-used stone. Most surprisingly a quoin in the north-west corner may be the remains of a grotesque, yet upside-down, ‘sheelagh-na-gig’ stone face. The hurricane gravestone in the church tells a sad tale. A wall in the church collapsed during a winter storm in 1772 crushing the villagers sheltering in the church’s sanctuary.
Behind the village the preserved ridge and furrows of Wentor’s medieval fields are a good as any you’ll find. Nearby, Robury Ring on Prolley Moor was once thought to be an Iron Age or Romano-British farm. Finds of earlier pottery mean it’s now thought to be a locally rare Bronze Age henge monument.