The Bog and Pennerley Mines
Tip: use the zoom buttons to zoom in and out.
Use the layers button to select the layers and the opacity of a layer (0.0 - 1.0).
View full screen 2D hill shade overlay LiDAR.
Use the opacity selector to see underlying satellite, historic mapping and accessible records (HER and Archives) overlays too.
Experimental : view interactive 3D pointcloud.
Use a WebGL tool to produce an interactive 3D view rendered with hillshade and accessible records data.
The Bog Mine is one of the oldest lead mines in the Stiperstones area. It finally closed in 1924 and most of the mine buildings have been demolished. The main surviving building was the school and is now a busy visitor centre. The nearby Miners’ Arms has also survived, but as a private house. Many of the mine’s features can still be found including the powder house, aerial ropeway footings and the ‘Somme’ Tunnel, built during WW1.
Pennerley Mine nearby has a chequered history of ownership, openings and closures. The last attempt to make a profit from it was as late as 1953, when a new shaft was sunk. Unfortunately, the mining gear was sold before it was used. In addition to mining remains Pennerley has two fine Bronze Age barrows. Found near the summit of Round Hill, they stand out clearly on the skyline when approached from the west.